Good evening everyone,
This post concerns Protea Medical Aid Society being placed under curatorship and the resultant requests from members wanting to join Discovery Health. Discovery Health have therefore issued a special offer for existing Protea Medical Aid Society members.
On the 11th of November 2010, the Council for Medical Schemes released their Press Release 15 of 2010. This indicated that Protea Medical Aid Society had been placed under curatorship as from the 29th of October 2010. An inspection report done on the scheme had alleged financial and governance irregularities.
The court appointed curator is Mr. Velaphi Petsana, his task is to restore the financial health of the scheme and institute a new Board of Trustees in consultation with the Council for Medical Schemes. Brokers (such as myself), have also been advised to act with restraint and the principles of best advice, have the interests of the clients at heart and act based upon a proper assessment of the situation.
Which is why i feel obliged to let it be known that there is an underwriting concession available from Discovery Health. Giving clients notification of what is available is of paramount importance where one’s health is concerned.
Protea Medical Aid Society has 2 plan types:
Protea Hospital Plan: this is an entry level hospital plan.
Protea Essential Plan: entry level option providing cover through preferred providers.
The membership of Protea Medical Aid Society is in the range of about 7000 members. The schemes solvency has also dropped quite drastically and is experiencing a significant amount of financial stress (as can be seen from the latest Council for Medical Schemes Annual Report).
Discovery Health’s offering to existing Protea Medical Aid Society members.
Existing members of Protea will not be subject to underwriting on change of membership to Discovery Health.
Terms and conditions:
1. Members applying under this concession will receive no waiting periods or late joiner penalties other than the balance of existing waiting periods imposed by Protea or existing late joiner penalties
2. Members should use a normal application form to apply under this concession and submit proof of current membership of Protea
3. Discovery Health will accept the following forms of proof:
• A current membership certificate, or
• A clear copy of the back and front of the membership card AND proof of payment to Protea in the last two months (on an employer letterhead, payslip or bank statement)
4. Application forms must reach Discovery Health by 10 December 2010
*The medical questions need not be answered if valid proof for each individual is submitted along with the application form.
Please feel free to contact me directly ( and quickly) if you wish to discuss your options.
I can be reached via email on email@example.com or through the web: www.businessowner-cover.com .
And Remember it Pays to have Cover!